REGULAR PUBLIC MEETING OF THE ELOY FIRE DISTRICT BOARD
DECEMBER 12, 2022
- Call to order and confirmation of quorum. A meeting of the Board was called to order by Board Chairperson Belinda Akes at the Eloy Fire District Administration office, located at 4010 N. Toltec Road, Eloy, Arizona at 1800 hours on Monday, December 12, 2022. A quorum was confirmed with five members present: Tom Cortez, Luis Ybarra, Toni Lorona Carlson, Edward Sauceda, and Belinda Akes. Board members Edward Sauceda and Luis Ybarra attended remotely.
- Pledge of allegiance. Board Chair Belinda Akes led the pledge of allegiance.
- Call to the Public: No members of the public addressed the board.
- Special Ceremony: Firefighter James Cowles received his Firefighter badge.
- Consent Agenda:
- A. Minutes of the regular district meeting on November 14, 2022.
- B. Financial Statements.
- C. Approval of Warrants.
- Fire Chief Kelly Weddle reported that the budget and expenses to date look as expected, and provided a summary of tax receipt activity and future expenditures. The Board reviewed the Minutes, Financial Statements, and Warrant List. MOTION made by Luis Ybarra to approve the Consent Agenda Items A, B, and C. SECONDED by Tom Cortez. MOTION PASSED (5 Ayes: Akes, Ybarra, Lorona Carlson, Sauceda, and Cortez; 0 Nays).
- Executive Session
- A. Review, discussion and possible action on purchase of new SCBA air packs and associated equipment. Chief Weddle said that the District has been approved for an AFG (Assistance to Firefighters) Grant for $275,000 toward the cost of the new packs. He said that a committee was set up to compare brands, gather information from personnel and bring forward a recommendation for purchase. The committee recommended MSA, and the Fire Chief advocated for the board to approve the committee’s selection. MOTION made by Tom Cortez to approve the MSA air pack. SECONDED by Toni Lorona Carlson. MOTION PASSED (5 Ayes: Akes, Ybarra, Lorona Carlson, Sauceda, and Cortez; 0 Nays).
- B. Review, discussion and possible action to approve updated to SOG 4.21 – Employee Assistance/CISD/Traumatic Events Counseling. Chief Weddle said this change was needed to update the policy to match changes in state law. MOTION made by Toni Lorona Carlson to approve the HR Policy 4.21 – Employee Assistance/CISD Traumatic Events Counseling. SECONDED by Tom Cortez. MOTION PASSED (5 Ayes: Akes, Ybarra, Lorona Carlson, Sauceda, and Cortez; 0 Nays).
- Reports and Correspondence
- A. Division Chief Report. Division Chief’s monthly report was given by Chief Weddle.
- B. Fire Chief Report. Fire Chief Kelly Weddle presented his monthly report.
- Future Agenda Items: Salary Study from the DIT (Department Improvement Team) will be discussed in the future meetings during budget planning.
- Adjournment. MOTION made by Toni Lorona Carlson to adjourn. SECONDED by Tom Cortez. MOTION PASSED (5 Ayes: Akes, Ybarra, Lorona Carlson, Sauceda, and Cortez; 0 Nays). Chairperson Akes adjourned the meeting at 1846 hours.